First of all, what the Holy Spirit ISN’T is listed here, and I am sorry to always be listing things up but it better
than trying to jumble it all together in paragraphs sometimes, except where things need an explanation.
What the Holy Spirit isn’t
1. The Holy Spirit is not a genie that makes your wishes come true
2. The Holy Spirit is not like a crystal ball that tells your fortune.
3. The Holy Spirit is not a Goddess that comes down to have sex with men and women.
4. The Holy Spirit does not bring other spirits to “anoint” you with certain talents and skills
5. The Holy Spirit is not an angel
6. The Holy Spirit is not a dove
7. The Holy Spirit is not just a force
8. The Holy Spirit is not a generic term that means ALL of the spirits and angels surrounding God’s throne
9. The Holy Spirit does not judge or condemn anyone.
10. The Holy Spirit does not come and go to and from believers.
11. The Holy Spirit does not exalt prophets.
12. The Holy Spirit does not seek self glorification
13. The Holy Spirit does not give gifts only to a few
And there are many other things the Holy Spirit does not do or will not do, but I would rather dwell on the positive and get
into what the Holy Spirit actually does.
So I am going to explore many scriptures here, and let us see what the Word of God tells us about spirits that counterfeit
the Holy Spirit. First of all, in order to know the difference we have to know what the Holy Spirit came here to do.
If it is clear in your mind and heart what the purpose of Jesus sending the Holy Spirit was in the first place, then it is
easy to discern spirits that are NOT the Holy Spirit but are counterfeit, no matter what they say, do, or show.
John 14, 15 and 16 are my favorite chapters that tell about the Holy Spirit and the purpose of the Holy Spirit. So lets list
some facts about the Holy Spirit as I always like to do.
1. The Holy Spirit is the “comforter” which in the original Greek also means “counselor” or “helper”
So here the very first thing Jesus calls the Holy Spirit is “comforter”. So we can see clearly here that the ministry
of the Holy Spirit is to “comfort” Here is the Strong’s definition of “comforter”
1) summoned, called to one's side, esp. called to one's aid
a) one who pleads another's cause before a judge, a pleader, counsel for defense, legal assistant, an advocate
b) one who pleads another's cause with one, an intercessor
1) of Christ in his exaltation at God's right hand, pleading with God the Father for the pardon of our sins
c) in the widest sense, a helper, succorer, aider, assistant
1) of the Holy Spirit destined to take the place of Christ with the apostles (after his ascension to the Father), to lead
them to a deeper knowledge of the gospel truth, and give them divine strength needed to enable them to undergo trials and
persecutions on behalf of the divine kingdom.
So that is one ministry of the Holy Spirit, to be a “comforter” a “solacer”
A “teacher” a “guide” “assistant” “advocate” or one who pleads out cause to
the Father, and “intercessor” and NOT one who condemns.
The Holy Spirit is NOT the accuser, not the condemner, NOT the prosecutor.
2. Jesus prayed that the Father would send ANOTHER comforter, or “identical” to Jesus. The Holy Spirit(NOT THE
POPE OR ANY OTHER MAN OR WOMAN) was to come to take the place of Jesus on Earth. This Holy Spirit is to abide or dwell with
us forever, and never leave us no matter where we are.
Jhn 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
3. The Holy Spirit IS the spirit of TRUTH that the world cannot receive because the Holy Spirit cannot be seen, and they
do know know Him, but WE know Him because He dwells WITH us and is IN us. So why do we need any other spirit? If you will
only get filled with the Holy Spirit , you will have ALL of the power and help you will ever need to accomplish whatever the
Lord wants you to do.
Jhn 14:17 [Even] the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye
know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
4. Jesus’ own promise where He says He will not leave us comfortless, which means “fatherless” or “orphaned”.
He will visit us and Jesus comes to us through the Holy Spirit. Jhn 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to
5. The Holy Spirit is sent in Jesus name. The Holy Spirit is the one who teaches us all things. The Holy Spirit brings all
things to our remembrance, all of the Word of God that we have learned, whenever we need it.
Jhn 14:26 But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things,
and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
6. The Holy Spirit is to TESTIFY of Jesus. It is the HOLY SPIRIT that preaches the Gospel through us, not our own self, not
another spirit or angel, or Activated angels or spirit helpers, but the one and ONLY HOLY SPIRIT that comes directly from
the FATHER. Reading what the Bible says really helps you to put things in their proper perspective.
Jhn 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, [even] the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth
from the Father, he shall testify of me:
7. Jesus said that He would SEND the Holy Spirit, which He did. Jesus NEVER said anything about sending any other kinds of
spirits or angels to be our spirit helpers. He ONLY said He would send the Holy Spirit.
So I don’t know how anyone can interpret this as Jesus saying that He will send holy spirits, which are the disembodied
spirits of the dead, or angelic
Warriors to communicate with us. No matter how you read these verses IT JUST DOESN’T SAY THAT! AND THESE ARE THE WORDS
OF JESUS! IF WE CAN’T BELIEVE WHAT JESUS SAID THEN WHO CAN WE BELIEVE?
Jhn 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter
will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
8. REPROVE: The Holy Spirit will reprove. Now a lot of people get hung up on that word and interpret it to mean “condemn”
“punish” “judge” and say that the job of the Holy Spirit is to “judge” the world, but
that is not what it is sating at all. The word “reprove” in the original Greek means:
To convict, refute, confute, generally with a suggestion of shame of the person convicted , by conviction to bring to the
light, to expose, to find fault with, correct ,by word, to reprehend severely, chide, admonish, reprove , to call to account,
show one his fault, demand an explanation ,by deed ,to chasten, to punish. NOT to destroy, condemn, judge with wrath and anger.
Not to ZAP the demons and devils with spiritual weapons. Not to come down and make love and have sex with the disciples. Not
to take us on spirit “trips”. You can’t go on a “spirit trip” unless there are devils taking
you there inside your mind, giving you pictures and images of these imaginary places.
Your spirit cannot leave your body or else you are dead! Jam 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without
works is dead also. Luk 8:55 And her spirit came again, and she arose straightway: and he commanded to give her meat.
10. One of the ministries of the Holy Spirit is to be our “conscience” and speak to us, in our hearts, and lead
us to righteousness by helping us to make the right decisions. : It is the ministry of the Holy Spirit to reprove of sin,
righteousness, and judgment. It is not our ministry. We are simply witnesses (Jn. 15:27; Acts 1:8). A witness is not the judge
or the jury. He simply testifies of what he has seen or what has happened to him.
Some people in their zeal have gone beyond the witness stage and tried to bring people under conviction themselves. This is
assuming a job that belongs to the Holy Spirit alone. This not only frustrates the witness but it drives many people away
from God. We make a very poor Holy Spirit; therefore, we should stick to our job of being a witness and let the Holy Spirit
Jhn 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
11. Spirit is reproving the world of is the sin of not believing on Jesus. All other acts of sin stem from this one problem.
That's the sin that will send men to hell -- not their individual acts. All the sins of the world have been paid for (1 Jn.
2:2) except the sin of rejecting Jesus (Jn. 3:18).
Jhn 16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; There could be two ways of interpreting this.
First, the Holy Spirit will now have to reveal to mankind what is righteous in the sight of God because Jesus is no longer
visible to illustrate true righteousness to us.
Secondly, this could mean that just as Jesus assured people that the goodness and mercy of God made them righteous by faith
-- not works, so now the Holy Spirit has taken over this ministry of bearing witness to our righteous relationship with the
Father (1 Jn. 5:13).
Jhn 16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
This is not referring to the Holy Spirit revealing to people that they are going to hell if they don't repent. That would
fall under the category of reproving the world of sin (v. 9). Rather, this is a speaking of the Holy Spirit assuring us that
Satan has been judged and stripped of all authority over us. The Holy Spirit will assure us of our victory.
Jhn 16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide(A guide doesn't do everything for us, but rather leads us.)
you into all truth (This is the fourth time Jesus emphasized the Holy Spirit as being the one to reveal the truths of God
to the believer) for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew
you things to come.
Jesus had spoken of the ministry of the Holy Spirit many times before, but here He reveals that the Holy Spirit will show
us things to come. Foreknowledge is one of the distinct characteristics of God alone (Isa. 42:9; 45:11; 46:9-10; Jer. 1:5;
Mt. 6:8; 24:36; Acts 15:18). Therefore, this is another witness to the Holy Spirit being part of the Godhead.
Part of the Holy Spirit's ministry is to make this foreknowledge available to the believer. This does not automatically operate
but it can be appropriated by every Spirit-filled believer through faith.
However, there are warnings that go along with this:
Isa 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, [it is] because [there is] no light in
1Pe 4:11 If any man speak, [let him speak] as the oracles of God; if any man minister, [let him do it] as of the ability which
God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever.
Jhn 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew [it] unto you.( the Holy Spirit is specifically
given to give revelation knowledge)